Welcome

This blog is intended for those interested in genealogy research of the Hightower and Stokes families of Todd County, Kentucky. The Hightower and Stokes Families have lived in Todd County, Kentucky for over two hundred years. They were hard working farmers, for the most part. They had large numbers of children, and they rarely left Todd County. The two clans often married, and had a strong bond. I have been collecting information on our family history for the past ten years, and I would like to share this data and gain more if possible. To that end, I have created this blog so that family members and anyone else interested can exchange information and keep up with the family through this research.

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Hightowers.

Two of my mother's sisters, Effie Bell and Marjorie katherine Stokes, married two Hightower brothers. Earl Weathers Hightower married Effie Bell Stokes. Marjorie married Delmar Hightower. They were sons Of Creed Washington Hightower. Creed was born Jan. 4, 1886. He married Carrie L. Brewer, born Jan. 3, 1890. They married Jan. 24, 1906. They had six children. Creed died Sept. 22, 1963. Carrie died Jan. 31, 1965.

Creed's father was George McNiece Hightower. He was born Oct. 12, 1846. George married Ader Scott in 1875. They had four children. George died Feb. 28, 1904. Ader Scott was born June 12, 1863 and died Sept. 14, 1931. George is buried near his father, on a farm on Stringtown Rd. Ader is at Stokes Chapel. George's father was John Pinckney Hightower. Born Jan.5, 1814. His first wife was Sarah Ann Stokes, born Feb. 14, 1814. His second wife was Lucy Ann Thompson born Sept. 17, 1831. John died July 9, 1894. Sarah Stokes died Feb. 24, 1865.

Abijah Hightower was John Pinckney's father. He was born either in 1782, 83, 84 or possibly Aug. 2, 1782. He married his first wife, Alasha Saunders on Nov. 15, 1811. His second wife was Elizabeth Jones born in 1799 or 1800. Abijah died on July 27, 1862. He is buried on a farm on Stringtown Rd.

3 comments:

  1. Hello,
    I,am James A. Hightower of the Toledo,Ohio branch of the Todd co. KY. Hightowers, My Grandfather Bernis Gordon Hightower, left KY. sometime in the 1930's My GGfather Elgin, GGGfather John William, GGGGfather Alfred Marion GGGGGfather John Pickney GGGGGGfather Abijah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. James, I am also in Ohio and a relative of Bruce Francies and Lillian Hightower of Todd County,Ky.

      Delete
  2. My grandfather was Bryan R. Hightower Sr., and my grandmother was Flora Hightower. I lived in Stringtown until I was a teenager and then my parents moved. I am very interested in the family history since I knew many of the individuals mentioned in your history.

    ReplyDelete